Monday, July 21, 2008

No Name Rub





Had this for dinner last night. I didn't have a critical ingredient for the marinade I had planned, so I decided to try a rub. I don't normally like rubs, but this was delicious. It has a bit of a kick, Chaz stop eating the outside of the chicken about halfway through dinner but Brian and I thought it was great. Next time, I think I will shred the chicken and use it like taco meat or something.

No Name Rub (it had a name, I thought it was lame, so now it has no name until we come up with one. Probably "that one rub" rub.)

Makes about 4 Tbsp. of rub

1 Tbsp & 1 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1 Tbsp salt
1 1/4 tsp oregano
1 1/4 tsp thyme

1. Brine 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts for one hour (brine by putting the chicken in 1 quart water, 1/2 cup coarse salt, 1/2 cup sugar)

2. Remove chicken from brine, pat dry with paper towel.

3. Combine 2 Tbsp rub with 2 Tbsp olive oil in a gallon baggie. Smoosh to blend. Add Chicken and coat chicken.

4. Cook chicken on grill, high heat, about 4-5 minutes per side.

1 comment:

Cecily said...

I decreased the cayenne to 1 t. and the black pepper to 1 1/2 t. and this was still pretty spicy. Simon said, "It is hot," but he ate his whole chicken tender. Ryan and I softened the spice with chocolate milk and bread. It was tasty!
We're going to try the leftovers tonight shredded on a salad with ranch dressing.