Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Baked Somosas

Brian and I love indian food. But we don't get to go out often and the boys are not yet fans (I have hopes though). So I wanted to find a recipe for somosas that we can do at home. I actually ended up combining several different recipes and came up with something that we really enjoy. These are not as good as The Bombay House in Provo but the are a nice meal when accompanied by Chana Masala. I personally think they would be better fried but I don't have a fryer and they are healthier this way.

INGREDIENTS
*1 package egg roll wrappers (you won't need the whole package so freeze what is leftover and use them next time you want somosas)
*5 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
*4 tsp veg. oil
*1 med. onion, finely chopped (I always omit the onions)
*1 cup green peas
*1 Tbsp. ginger, grated
*3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
*1 1/2 tsp salt
*1 tsp coriander
*1 tsp garam masala
*1/2 - 1 tsp cumin seeds (this really adds some kick to it)

Boil, cool anad peel potatoes. Dice into 1/4" size. Heat 4 Tbsp oil in a wok or skillet over med. flame. Add onion, stir fry until golden brown. Add peas, ginger, and cilantro. Add potatoes, salt and spices. Mix and cook on low heat for 3-4 min., stir frequently.

Cut about 10-12 egg roll wrappers in half, from on corner to the other (you get two triangles). Put a big spoonful of mixture in center of one triangle, fold corners over until you get a funny shaped pocket (for the life of me I can't figure out how to fold it to look like a real somosa).


Bake at 400 for 15-20 mins. (The tips will start to burn a bit but you want to make sure the whole thing is crispy. Keep an eye on them.) Makes about 2 dozen give or take.

No comments: