Sunday, January 4, 2009

Heavenly Chicken Divine

One of our new favorites. We fight over the leftovers. From my sister in law's Bride & Groom First and Forever Cookbook. Several of her best recipes are from this, I might have to peruse it more carefully.

Have ready:
4c broccoli steamed
4c cooked penne pasta (3c dried, 1 box, my SIL raves about Ezekiel 4:9 Organic Sprouted Grain Pasta, available at Kroger or Amazon)
2c shredded roast chicken (or cubed breasts, whatever)
2c (4oz) shredded smoked Gouda or Edam (don't skimp on cheese, it really defines the dish. I prefer Edam)

Heat 2t olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add:
1 medium onion, chopped
1/4t dried thyme
1/4t salt
1/8t pepper
Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 5 min. Remove from heat and stir in:
1 jar (16oz) Alfredo sauce (I make my own, more is better)
1/2c grated smoked Gouda or Edam cheese (I like Edam)
1/2-1c milk
1/2c of the pasta water
1/8t nutmeg
Then stir in the cooked pasta, steamed broccoli, 2c shredded roast chicken and mix thoroughly. Transfer to a 9x13 pan and top with another 1.5c of Gouda or Edam cheese and 1/4c Italian breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with some paprika and cover with foil. Bake for 30 min at 375. Uncover and bake another 10-15 min, or until golden brown.

The recipe freezes well, except for the broccoli. My SIL serves the broccoli separate, since it gets mushy in leftovers. You can also make the dish the day before and keep refridgerated for 24 hrs.

1 comment:

Ledys said...

This looks awesome, Kris! Could you give me your Alfredo sauce recipe?