Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Ham and Potato Soup

Although I am not a ham eater, my family loves this soup. I add whatever vegetables I have in the freezer or fridge. I also rarely stick to a recipe especially when adding vegetables. I am giving you the original recipe, but eyeballing works wonders for me.

3 1/2 c. potatoes, peeled and diced
1/3 c. celery, diced
1/3 c. carrots, sliced
1/3 c. corn
1/3 c. onion, finely chopped
3/4 c. cooked ham, diced
3 1/4 c. broth
salt and pepper to taste
5 Tbl. butter
5 Tbl. flour
2 c. milk

Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and broth in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until the potatoes are tender.

In a separate saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick.

Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

No comments: