Monday, May 10, 2010

Carrot Cake Pancakes

I am always looking for a good breakfast idea and when I came across this recipe I was very curious. I made them -almost- according to the directions and they were REALLY good. I didn't use as many carrots because I didn't have a pound the day I made them. I probably reduced the carrots to 1 1/4-1 1/2 c. The family ate them up. The spices add a nice surprise and the carrots are hardly noticeable if grated thin.

Carrot Cake Pancakes

1 ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups finely grated carrot (about 1 pound)
Cooking spray

Instructions:Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (through ginger) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and next 4 ingredients (through eggs); add sugar mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in 2 cups carrot.Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Spoon 4 (1/4 cup) batter mounds onto pan, spreading with a spatula. Cook for 2 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked. Carefully turn pancakes over; cook 1 minute or until bottoms are lightly browned. Repeat procedure twice with remaining batter.

No comments: