Friday, October 9, 2009

Southwest Chicken Soup


This one is from my sister and it is amazing!

2-3 chicken breasts
4 quarts chicken broth
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 large onion, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
1 yam, diced
3 medium red peppers, diced
1 small can Mexican tomato sauce (I use El Pato)
1 t. pepper
2 T. oregano leaves
1 1/2 T. cumin
1 T. chili powder
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 can hominy

Garnishes:
limes, halved, then quartered (8 sections)
colby jack cheese, shredded
tortilla chips
sour cream
1 avocado, diced

Heat olive oil and cook and sear chicken. Add lemon juice and 1 T. garlic. Cut vegetables into bite-sized pieces while chicken is cooking. Add broth to chicken and simmer 1 hour (I usually get away with less). Saute onion, add pepper and cook until tinged with flecks of black. Add 1 T. garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add yam through chili powder. Simmer 1 hour (again...I usually do less. I cook it a bit higher temp with the lid on, until the veggies are soft). Add chicken, cilantro and hominy. Simmer 10 minutes.
Serve with garnishes. Squeeze lime juice in to soup. I find the soup to be a bit hot, and the sour cream helps cool it a bit.

No comments: