Sunday, October 18, 2009

All American Quiche

Quiche has been my favorite food since I was a kid (in 3rd grade all the other kids were writing down their favorites- pizza, apples, spaghetti- and I have my paper that says 'keesh'). This recipe is cobbled together from what my mom made growing up, what I like, and is based on the Joy of Cooking recipe. It is unapologetically not French. I never measure, but I know that drives Bonnie nuts, so I've estimated here.

Place pie crust in pie pan. Bake for 8 min at 375, if desired (less soggy). When it comes out, throw in:
1/4- 1/2c chopped onion
1/2-1c chopped ham or bacon
1c chopped fresh broccoli
1/2c cheddar cheese

In a separate bowl, combine:
3 eggs
1 can evap milk (a little less, a whole can always overflows my pan)
1t salt
1/2t pepper
dash of nutmeg

Pour the milk & eggs over the top of the meat & veggies. Bake at 375 for 45 min, or until set in the middle. Let sit for a few minutes, then serve!

Suggested substitutions:
-Any meat and veggies you have on hand or particularly like will work. I've made it with chicken & summer squash, red bell peppers, spinach, etc. I regularly substitute frozen veggies for the fresh, but be sure to defrost them first or you'll have a watery quiche. David liked it when I put garlic in once.
-Any melting cheese will work. David liked it when I put in mozzarella once, and I've used Gruyere before (a little stinky for my taste). Use what you like/ have.
-As for the milk, Joy of Cooking calls for 1 1/2c cream or half & half. I never use/buy those, so I've substituted the evap milk. I've also used 1 1/4c whole milk fortified with 1/3c dry milk with good results. You don't get the fabulous airy custard texture, but that's not really my thing anyway. If you do use the cream/ half & half, you might have to reduce the cooking time to 35 min.

2 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Thanks, can't wait to try!

Mrs. B said...

We are using this often and I don't even measure. thanks Kris.