Friday, April 24, 2009

Ranch Dressing Mix

I'm not sure if this will interest anyone or not. Some of my sisters are trying to avoid msg in all its forms. It's in pretty much every store-bought salad dressing in some form or another. So I happened to see this recipe in an old ward cookbook and gave it a try. This functions the same as a ranch dressing mix packet you would buy at the grocery store. The recipe makes a lot of mix so if anyone wants to try some of mine you are welcome to. One thing I like about this is that when you combine the mix with buttermilk/mayonnoise or sourcream you can make as little or as much as you want. I pretty much always half it - which makes one cup of dressing/dip. I also have used buttermilk from the freezer in this recipe (I freeze leftover buttermilk in icecube trays since I don't use it all that much) and it was fine too.

Ranch Dressing Mix

15 saltine crackers
1 C dry minced parsley flakes
1/2 C dry minced onions
2 T dry dill
1/2 C onion salt
1/2 C garlic salt
1/4 C onion powder
1/4 C garlic powder

Put crackers into blender on high until finely powdered. Add parsley flakes, minced onion and dill. Blend until fine powder again. Dump into a bowl and mix remaining ingredients in with a whisk. Put in an airtight container and store at room temp. Makes 42 T. To use combine 1 T. mix with one cup of buttermilk and one cup of mayonnaise. For best flavor make the dressing at least a few hours ahead.

1 comment:

amberella said...

Oh, I cant wait to try this.