Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Herb Bread

Here's my yummy herb bread I served on Election Day. I got the recipe from a guy in my organ studio at Michigan.

Reconstitute 1c dried onion in 1-1.5c hot water

Mix in large bowl:
3.5 cups flour
3T sugar
1T salt
2T shortening
1.5 cup mozzarella cheese
2 pckg or 4.5t yeast
1/3 cup dill seeds

Add reconstituted onions and 2.5c warm water.
Stir in enough flour to make dough easy to handle (3-3.5 c more).
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface & knead 10 min. Place in greased bowl w/ greased side up. Cover and let rise 40-60 min or until double.
Grease bread pans or cake pan. Divide dough into 2 loaf pans or 2 mounds in cake pan. Let rise again.
Move rack to center of oven. Preheat to 425. Bake 25-30min. Allow to cool 10 min & brush with melted butter. Remove from pans, allow to cool before cutting.

*I substituted red wheat flour for the second half of the flour and there was no difference in the quality of the bread.
**This makes A LOT of bread. I baked one big mound on a cookie sheet and another big loaf in a loaf pan. I don't know how he got two mounds in a cake pan.


I added red wheat flour at this point

No comments: