Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Canadian Cheese Soup


1/2 c. chopped onions
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 T. cornstarch
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. white pepper
1 qt. milk, heated
1 qt. chicken stock, heated
3/4 c. carrots, diced and cooked
3/4 c. celery, diced and cooked
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped

Melt butter with onions; add flour through pepper and cook 10 minutes, stirring often. Puree carrots and celery. Add to liquid and add mixture to the butter mixture. Stir constantly until thickened. Add cheese and parsley immediately before serving.

Note. I chop the carrots and celery pretty fine and cook them together, but I use a wand blender and blend them in the soup while I’m “stirring constantly.” I find it easier. I also have added a chopped potato to the vegetables and used dried parsley.

from The Lion House Cookbook

No comments: