Sunday, October 5, 2008

Spectacular Sides

Sidsie and I were talking the other day about cooking the same old boring things. She mentioned that she wanted to spruce up her sides, instead of always serving just plain old steamed veggies. So, here are a few of my straight from the pantry, amazing side dishes. By the way, I hardly ever measure things (including time). So all of this is approximate (sorry, Bonnie).

Carrots
Steam cut up carrots until tender. Toss with honey. Serve warm.
OR
Toss with shelled pistachios (get them at the Farmer's market). No extra salt needed.

Green beans
Saute green beans in 1-2T butter, add 1/4 c water and cover for, I don't know, 5 min? or until tender. Toss with toasted almond slivers (again, the blanched ones at YDFM are great, but you have to toast them yourself).

Asparagus
Wash and snap off tough ends of spears. Steam spears in some water in a covered skillet for ~5min. Drain. Saute spears in 2T butter, basil, salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2t basil). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and Serve warm.
(Betty Crocker, who I've adapted this from, adds 8oz sliced mushrooms and 1/4c chopped hazelnuts, but I don't like mushrooms and never have hazelnuts so I've always cooked it this way).

Summer Squash, Zucchini and Onions
Saute sliced summer squash, zucchini and onions in 2T olive oil and 1t basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Yum!

No comments: