Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sis. Chalmer's Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are literally the best cookies in Georgia.  When I make them elsewhere, like New Mexico, I have mixed results.  I assume it has to do with the humidity or some fine detail about the ingredients that I can't control when out of my home.

The original recipe makes like 2,000 cookies.  So I half it.  But honestly, we half even the half recipe for our family.  Because if you make them you will eat them.  Even if you hide them in the back of your freezer telling yourself that you wont eat a frozen cookie and therefore the 2 minutes that it takes to thaw will be surely enough time for you to rationally talk yourself out of eating yet another cookie you don't really need.  You can eat a frozen cookie, by the way.


1/2 Recipe for Sis Chalmer's Chocolate Chip Cookies

2/3 C Crisco
2/3 C butter or margarine (I use the latter)
1 C brown sugar
1 C white sugar
2 eggs
3 1/2 C flour (I use unbleached all purpose flour, for what it is worth)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 - 1 1/2 C chocolate chips (let's be honest, I usually do the maximum amount)

Blend shortening and margarine.

Blend in sugars, eggs and vanilla

Blend flour with salt and soda, then add to the butter mixture (to save on dirty dishes I usually add those three right to the butter mixture, no pre blending)

Add chocolate chips

Bake at 375* for 8-9 minutes.  (Do not over bake.  They may still look a little raw and only barely brown on the edges but this makes a really soft, wonderful cookie.)

No comments: